Aug 24, 2009, 9:50 AM EST
The Phillies' bullpen in '01 might not have been lights out, precisely, but it was fairly effective. Lefty Rheal Cormier, up-and-comer Vicente Padilla, Jose Santiago and former 9th-inning man Ricky Bottalico all were decent or better at doing the setup work, and Jose Mesa had an excellent year as a closer, with 42 saves and a 2.34 ERA. So it's hard to see why exactly they were apparently desparate enough to call up Ryan "Lawnboy" Dunne in Summer Catch, released on August 24th, 2001. Catch told the story of Dunne, played by Freddie Prinze Jr., as he struggled through the Cape Cod Summer League, balancing his psychological demons (unsupportive father, washout brother) and his rich new girlfriend (a smokin' Jessica Biel in her first starring role) with his erratic performance on the mound.
Eventually, Prinze gets his shit together long enough to throw one super-good outing, witnessed by Phillies scout Hugh Alexander (Scrubs' John C. McGinley). Despite leaving his own no-hitter in the ninth inning to go chase down the departing Biel, McGinley is suitably impressed to offer him a deal with a minor-league Phils affiliate. By the end of the movie, his entire hometown is watching him give up a home run to the Reds' Ken Griffey Jr. (echoes of Little Big League) in his first pro appearance as a Phillie–amidst cameos frm then-Phils Pat Burrell, Mike Lieberthal and Doug Glanville.
We don't know what happened to Dunne after that, exactly, but let's hope the rest of the 00s treated him a little kinder than they did Freddie.
|David Seasholtz on Looking back at Philadelphia p…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Barry on This outlandish Penn State-the…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages