Feb 11, 2009, 9:00 AM EDT
I dunno, I always thought it was kind of annoying. But when Kate Smith graced the Flyers with her semi-operatic vibrato on a version of "God Bless America" on December 11th, 1969, before a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, a tradition was borne, in perhaps the most tradition-fixated sport of the four majors. The Flyers won the game 6-3, and from then on, whenever the Flyers needed a boost in karma, they called on Big Red–either live or on tape–to come do her thing.
The returns, at least initially, were somewhat staggering. The first three years after Kate Smith first supported the Orange and Black, the Flyers were 19-1-1 when her "God Bless America" was played before a home game, and just 31-38-28 when she did not. Such stock was eventually placed in the power of Kate Smith to swing a big game that before game six of the '74 finals, Bruins stars Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito tried a reverse jinx by sending her flowers and shaking her hand. (It didn't work).
Smith's anthem has continued to be played (admirably sparingly) before big games, and over the course of the last 40 years, Flyers are a still fairly stellar 77-21-4 in such games. After her death in 1986, a statue of her was erected outside of the Spectrum.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money