May 30, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
Ah, gotta love that crisp Denver air in the springtime. Though in recent years they've actually cobbled together something that vaguely resembles a pitching staff, back in the day, there was no better prescription for an ailing offense than a visit to the Rockies at Mile High Stadium. Not like the Phillies really needed the help in their pennant year of 1993, but just for the hell of it anyway, they put an 18-run beating on the Rock Boys on May 30th of their inaugural season.
Remarkably, through four innings, the game probably looked like a pitchers' duel between the Rox' Lance Painter and the Phils Tommy Greene, with the score knotted at 0-0. Then Darren Daulton homered to lead off the fifth, and things just kinda took off from there. Four different Phillies would homer later in the game (including the pitcher Greene) and left fielder Pete Incaviglia knocked a hit in a team record-tying four consecutive innings, as the Philly lead began to balloon. Greene stayed strong on the hill, striking out six and letting up just one earned, as the Phils took the game 18-1.
The win was the last of a three-game series sweep in the Phils' first ever visit to Colorado. The Phillies outscored the Rockies by a combined 39-10 score over the course of the three games, and moved to 34-14 for the season, first in the division by an astounding seven games.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money