Aug 11, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
As we look forward to Pedro Martinez's first start as a Phillie this Wednesday, we are not without historical precedent for taking a mid-season flyer on a past-his-prime pitching legend while trying to defend a pennant. Fernandomania had long since passed by 1994, as Fernando Valenzuela was having difficulty just staying in the majors, shuttling between teams like the Orioles and Angels and the Mexican League for much of the early 90s. Struggling to patch together a rotation with an injury-plagued staff, the Phils picked up Fernando in June of '94. He only got to make seven starts in the Red and White, but he actually did a pretty decent job for the Fightins, going 1-2 with a 3.00 ERA and a 1.09 WHIP.
His best start probably came on August 11th, 1994, with the New York Mets in town. Fernando went eight strong, letting up only one run and striking out seven. Unfortunately, Mets starter Jason Jacome proved too much for the Phils to handle, as they were only able to muster one run of offensive support for Fernando. Thus, the game turned into an extra-inning battle of wills, until finally Ricky Jordan drove in Billy Hatcher with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 15th. Reliever Tom Edens was credited with the win, as the Phillies moved to an uninspiring 54-61.
The start was the last that Fernando Valenzuela made for the Phillies, as the '94 MLB strike prematurely ended the season (possibly a good thing, as the Phils were somewhat unlikely to repeat as NL champs, a mere 20 1/2 games out of first after the victory), and he signed with the Padres the next season. Fernando actually had a pretty decent time out in San Diego, going 21-11 with a 4.09 ERA in his first two years there, before getting traded to the Cardinals in 1997 and retiring shortly after.
(Fun fact: Fernando was the last ex-Cy Young winner to start for the Phils until we picked up one Cliff Lee a few weeks ago).
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages