Aug 29, 2009, 10:00 AM EST
Von Hayes is still probably most famous in Philly lore for the somewhat lopsided deal that not only brought him to Philadelphia in 1983 (for Manny Trillo, Julio Franco, George Vukovich, Jay Baller and Jerry Willard), but gave him an eternal branding as a Phil: Von “Five For One” Hayes. That said, he certainly had some nice moments for the Phils–contributing to the ’83 World Series team, leading the league in runs and finishing in the top ten in the MVP voting in 1986, and even becoming the first player in MLB history to hit two homers in the same inning during a 26-7 rout of the Mets in 1985. Perhaps his finest moment as a Fightin, however, came at the end of the 80s, long after championship memories had faded. On August 29, 1989, Hayes knocked three homers in one game.
Giants starter Don Robinson wasn’t even all that bad that night, really, going eight innings and only gave up four runs. All four of those runs were by Hayes’ hand, however, as he went solo in the top of the second and drove in John Kruk and Ricky Jordan with another blast in the fourth. Just to be on the safe side, then, Hayes knocked another one off of reliever Craig Lefferts in the ninth, scoring Jordan again. A strong start from Bruce Ruffin was barely even needed, though he gave one anyway. Final Score: Von Hayes 6, San Francisco Giants 1.
Hayes was traded to the Angels for Kyle Abbott (he of the 0-11 start) and Ruben Amaro Jr. (he of the Raul Ibanez signing and Cliff Lee trade) in 1992. He played just one season for the Angels, before washing out of the majors entirely.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return