Aug 2, 2005, 10:40 PM EST
I found this bit from the Inqy’s Bob Brookover very interesting:
A source close to the talks with Westbrook said the Eagles offered a
signing bonus and average annual salary better than the deals signed in
the past by Green Bay’s Ahman Green, the New York Giants’ Tiki Barber,
Tennessee’s Travis Henry and Houston’s Domanick Davis.
Green signed a five-year, $25 million deal with the Packers in 2001;
Barber signed a six-year deal worth $25 million in 2001. Green received
a signing bonus of $5 million, Barber a $7 million bonus. Henry and
Davis both signed recently, but details of their deals were not
A recent deal that may have caught Westbrook’s eye was that of Lamont
Jordan, who left the New York Jets to sign with Oakland as a free
agent. Jordan received a $7 million signing bonus and a five-year,
$27.55 million deal from the Raiders after serving as a backup to
Curtis Martin with the Jets. The Eagles have made an offer comparable to that, a source said.
You have to wonder what Westbrook is trying to accomplish by sitting out. Eagles writer for the Trenton Times, Mark Eckel, thinks what the Eagles actually offered was a little less:
The Eagles are believed to have offered Westbrook a five-year deal
worth between $18 and $19 million with a $5 million signing bonus and
another $1.5 million in guaranteed money next season. That deal would
be very similar to one Green Bay gave running back Ahman Green in 2001.
Hopefully it won’t turn into a long and drawn out thing. I hope Westbrook signs an extension before the season begins. It seems as though T.O. is all business, according to Joe Banner, which is exactly what he needed to be to win back some of the fans who gave up on him. We should take bets on how long it will be until Owens starts more trouble. I think T.O. definitely has some personality/ego issues, but I’m glad he is back and playing wide out for the Birds.
EDIT: This article has T.O. ignoring teamates and being a general ass. WTF TO?
Look out on the Wednesday edition of Screamin’ A. Smith’s new show on ESPN, Quite Franky (6:30) where I heard Donovan McNabb will be on. Monday’s show had some great sound bites from Philly’s other favorite son Allen Iverson. Iverson was so ghetto I loved it.
Phillies game thoughts after the jump.
The Phillies added another L to the loss column with a tough
loss to the Cubies. I listened to most of the game while sitting in
traffic on the Dirty Jersey turnpike, complete with over turned
vehicles, making my commute/day absolutely wonderful. Did you know I
hate the state of New Jersey and their roads? So the Phillies..
Padilla pitched really well until he got into some trouble which Urbina
was close to getting him out of, but alas the Cubbies took a 2 run
lead. The Phillies had a wacky 9th with walks a plenty and chance
after chance to have a game winner. Phillie LVP David Bell went down
swinging and Thomas "No Pie in the Face for Me" Perez came up empty as
well. I think we should keep track of how important Billy Wagner is to
the Phillies post trade deadline. Impact to date: None.
|willh888 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Schmidsy on Video: If Chip Kelly calls a […|
|Marvin Monroe on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages