May 28, 2009, 6:16 PM EST
This week's Brett Myers news has gone from Bad to Worst Possible Ever.
After starting the season slowly, Myers had regained his form recently and rounded into the solid-enough #2 starter the Phillies need to follow Cole Hamels in the rotation. Then, true to Philly luck, Myers had to come out of his most recent start due to some pain in his hip. He says it's been bothering him all season, but it got worse against the Marlins on Wednesday night.
Jim Salisbury of the Inquirer and just about every Phils beat writer is now reporting that, after an MRI today, "Myers was told that there was fraying to the labrum in his right hip, an injury that could require surgery and jeopardize the remainder of his season."
Myers will seek a second opinion from a hip specialist, hoping to avoid a lost 2009.
Pitching has been without question the primary thing holding the Phillies back from elite status so far this season, and without their #2, they are in big trouble. Joe Blanton has looked good in a few of his starts, particularly the 11 K, 7 shutout innings he threw on Tuesday, but he's never at any time in his career been good enough to be a #2 on a team hoping to repeat as World Series champs. Jamie Moyer has question marks swirling around him, and who knows what we can really expect from JA Happ.
The Phils had reportedly already been kicking the tires on some starting pitchers, including Jason Marquis, and if Myers is out, some trade should be absolutely necessary. Marquis, however, is not good enough to be a #2 here, so hopefully the Phillies will be looking higher than that. Jake Peavy is the pie-in-the-sky choice, but any links between he and the Phillies prior this point have been no more than questions about "What if…"
The Myers situation could change all that, with the Phillies' rotation looking to be in serious disrepair. In any case, the rumors will be flying.
Raise a pint to Brett's health, and his hopes for a return in 2009.
|Nick Russo on 3 Stars: Giroux, Voracek pace…|
|Steve on Adrian Peterson thinks Mike Vi…|
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return