Jan 9, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
Bob Costas caught up with Mike Vick for an interview that aired during last night's pregame show, and let's just say he doesn't seem too thrilled to be here.
"It would be hard," Vick said of returning to the Eagles, according to excerpts released by NBC. "It would be an everyday struggle. But I would have to take that time to hone my skills and get better. I'm excited about the opportunity I have moving forward whether it's with Philadelphia or another team."
Don't worry, Mike. It would be hard to have you back as well.
Let's face it: the wildcat is, surprise, not working. It's a gimmick package that disrupts the rhythm of the offense and seems to confuse their own huddle more than opposing defenses. There's something to be said for occasionally direct snapping to an athlete like DeSean Jackson or LeSean McCoy, but dragging Donovan McNabb off the field to use Vick mostly as a decoy has rarely been productive. And with Kevin Kolb giving the team a pair of decent starts in relief of McNabb, there's really no need to keep him on as a backup quarterback. Starting obviously is, and always was, out of the question.
None of this is really a revelation though. We speculated long ago one of the motivating factors to bring Vick in was to flip him for picks the following offseason. He's still not going to be worth a whole lot, having done very little on the field, especially with a $5.2 million salary. If they can't move him though, they can simply wave goodbye. And they will. Even if they somehow manage to jump start their Spread Eagle package, that's too much money for a guy to play 10 or fewer snaps per game.
So never fear, Mike Vick. You'll be under center for an aimless franchise soon enough.
>> Vick on return to Birds: 'It would be hard' [Philly.com]
|Rob on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money