Oct 18, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
Maalik Wayns wasn’t the only Sixers rookie who impressed on Wednesday night with the 27th overall pick in June’s draft, big man Arnett Moultrie, putting in perhaps his best performance to date as a pro. He shot 4 of 5 from the floor with 6 boards, a steal, zero turnovers, and a +13 +/- in 22 minutes. Again, the Cavs, but still.
The highlight of the night for Moultrie came on a missed layup from Wayns which Arnett timed perfectly for the put-back slam. Andre Iguodala may be gone, but the Sixers clearly still have some guys who can come through with some eye-popping dunks. This Thad Young one-handed put back last night wasn’t too shabby either.
Which leads to the question: the Sixers now Lou-less bench probably needs a new nickname, right?
With the speedy Wayns, the scoring Swaggy P, and the versatile Dorrell Wright as a second unit back-court/wings, and with Spencer Hawes and Thad Young up front, the Sixers bench can pack a strong offensive punch.
But with Lou Williams gone and Lavoy potentially transitioning to a starting role if Bynum is out, I think reusing the Night Shift moniker probably won’t fit.
It’s early with this squad, and a nickname needs to happen organically to work best, but do any ideas jump out at you?
|greg on Playoff hockey returns to the…|
|chester on Watch Cliff Lee, who is awesom…|
|chester on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|Fly guy on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money