Sep 28, 2010, 3:15 PM EST
I wrote briefly about the crowd in DC last night in my game recap, but it's a topic worth mentioning again (with added video). The rain may have kept casual Nationals fans away from the ball park, but it certainly didn't keep Phillies fans from watching their team clinch their fourth straight NL East title. [video of the final out below]
From moments after the game ended:
The Citizens Bank Park faithful who missed a clinch on Sunday were bummed, and rightfully so, but if the Phils are going to clinch on the road, there aren't a whole lot of better places than in DC where Phillies fans outnumbered Nats fans by a ridiculous proportion on this evening. Before the game, someone in the press box joked it was 10,000 Fightins' fans to about 40 Nats' fans, but seriously, it had to be in the vicinity of 4 to 1.
Perhaps best illustrating the awesome nature of the Phillies fans who made the trip to Nationals Park on Monday night was the fact that hundreds of them brought their own rally towels. The "Let's Go Phillies" chants were not just minor annoyances in isolated sections, but rather a full-on stadium chant.
I actually blew up a high resolution image of the above photo to see how many Nationals fans there are in the shot, and by my count, there are three people wearing a visible article of Nationals' gear. You can click it to enlarge a bit.
I can't think of a more unique absolute takeover of another team's ball park with such a great end result. Well done, Phillies fans.
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages