Feb 25, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the Sixers and they had a weekend to match. After getting beat up on by the Miami Heat on Saturday night in Philadelphia, the Sixers had their hands full with the New York Knicks on Sunday night at the Garden. They got off to an ugly start but eventually fought back just enough to make the score look respectable.
Spencer Hawes was at the center of the action yet again, but this time he seemingly didn’t really do anything to warrant the attention. On what looked like a routine box-out on Carmelo Anthony under the basket, Melo reacted with a pretty egregious slap to Hawes’ head. Maybe he saw Jerry Springer sitting court-side at the Garden. He would later say he caught a ‘bow from Hawes which he was simply reacting to. I didn’t really see said elbow.
Melo was initially just called for a personal foul but it was later upgraded to a Flagrant 1. I wouldn’t be surprised if the League reviews it further and gives him a Flagrant 2 and a game suspension. Then again, he’s a superstar, so that’s probably unlikely.
After the game Spencer said the commotion got him going.
“That kind of [expletive] gets me going,” Hawes said. “That’s what I like and it gets like that sometimes.”
It didn’t get him going quite enough, as the Sixers lost yet again.
It was a busy weekend for Hawes’ highlight reel. On Saturday he had a rather legendary swat of LeBron James. Hey, with this team, we’ve got to enjoy the little things.
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return