Feb 25, 2013, 10:58 AM EST
It’s been a rough couple of weeks for the Sixers and they had a weekend to match. After getting beat up on by the Miami Heat on Saturday night in Philadelphia, the Sixers had their hands full with the New York Knicks on Sunday night at the Garden. They got off to an ugly start but eventually fought back just enough to make the score look respectable.
Spencer Hawes was at the center of the action yet again, but this time he seemingly didn’t really do anything to warrant the attention. On what looked like a routine box-out on Carmelo Anthony under the basket, Melo reacted with a pretty egregious slap to Hawes’ head. Maybe he saw Jerry Springer sitting court-side at the Garden. He would later say he caught a ‘bow from Hawes which he was simply reacting to. I didn’t really see said elbow.
Melo was initially just called for a personal foul but it was later upgraded to a Flagrant 1. I wouldn’t be surprised if the League reviews it further and gives him a Flagrant 2 and a game suspension. Then again, he’s a superstar, so that’s probably unlikely.
After the game Spencer said the commotion got him going.
“That kind of [expletive] gets me going,” Hawes said. “That’s what I like and it gets like that sometimes.”
It didn’t get him going quite enough, as the Sixers lost yet again.
It was a busy weekend for Hawes’ highlight reel. On Saturday he had a rather legendary swat of LeBron James. Hey, with this team, we’ve got to enjoy the little things.
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|Paul on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|willh888 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages