Jun 28, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
With the 27th pick, the Miami Heat selected Mississippi State power forward Arnett Moultrie, but Moultrie is actually on his way to Philadelphia.
ESPN’s Chad Ford is reporting that the Sixers will give up a future first-rounder (lottery protected in 2013, ’14 and ’15) and the 45th overall selection in tonight’s draft for his rights.
The 6-foot-11, 230-pound Moultrie was one of six big men to work out for the Sixers last Saturday morning at PCOM. Evidently, Collins/DiLeo/Thorn et al. liked what they saw.
Moultrie began his college career at UTEP, where he’d played for two seasons before transferring. Following a mandatory year off thanks to the transfer, his numbers took a drastic leap once at Miss. State. He averaged 16.4 points and 10.5 rebounds per game as a junior.
Moultrie can play inside-out, shooting 54 percent from the floor and 44 percent from three last year. While at the workout, he appeared plenty comfortable stepping out and shooting from the far corners, which should help to space and stretch the floor when he’s not trying to establish in the post. Still, if he is going to body, he’ll need to add some strength and weight so as not to get pushed off his spot or boxed out on the boards.
The Sixers end the night by trading the 54th pick to the Nets for cash. We’ll be back in the morning with more on the Sixers two first round picks — Moe Harkless and Arnett Moultrie.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return