Dec 28, 2008, 2:49 PM EST
Word is spreading that the Flyers will place winger Simon Gagne on the long-term injury list today, giving him time to recover from his hernias (herniae?) in the hopes he'll be able to return to help in the second half and the playoff run. With Gagne's salary cap hit headed to the LTI with him, defenseman Randy Jones has been put on re-entry waivers. If he clears, he'll likely join the Flyers to add some D help. If another team claims him, the Flyers will pay half his salary and absorb half his cap hit.
While the D could use a bit more stability in some games, a finisher like Gagne will be missed. The shot totals haven't been a problem in recent games, but the conversion rate hasn't been pretty. The nagging groin was stopping Gags from being a factor so far this season though, so it's a moot point. If Jones can be added without much consequence in the cap, the Flyers will have some depth at the blueline to play with.
As far as wingers go… Will we hear more Shanahan rumors with Gagne out?
More to come.
UPDATE: John Boruk of CSN says the Flyers have no interest in Shanny.
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|wheeeeeeee.com on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|Hiccup on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages