Jan 15, 2008, 8:07 AM EST
With the news that the Spectrum may have seen its last days, I thought it’d be interesting to reminisce about our favorite memories at the old building. Feel free to share your favorite memories in the comments.
Those who’ve been reading this site for a while, or know me well in person, may easily guess my favorite Spectrum memory:
When it comes to sporting events, it’s not very often you remember the date of a historic game but when it comes to Phishheads, dates are as easy to remember as your birthday. In December of ’96 I was a 16 year old sophomore in high school and I went to see Phish for the first time ever. It smelled interesting.
12/29/96, CoreStates Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA – Setlist via Phantasy Tour
Set I: Poor Heart, Caravan, Cavern1, Taste, Guelah Papyrus, Train Song, Rift, Free, Squirming Coil, La Grange
Set II: David Bowie, A Day in the Life, Bathtub Gin, The Lizards, You Enjoy Myself> Rotation Jam> Sixteen Candles2> You Enjoy Myself3, Harpua4> Champagne Supernova> Harpua
Encore: Rocky Top
1 First since 12/2/94 or 160 shows
2 Performed by Mike, solo, on piano
3 Vocal jam
4 With Tom Marshall
I have other memories of seeing many games and players at the Spectrum but don’t remember distinct facts real well. I remember watching M.J., Kareem, Sir Charles and many others.
I remember playing with one of those cheap lights with the antennas on the top at the circus.
When it comes to great sports memories, I vividly remember being at one of Dr. J’s final games and walking up the steps to the Spectrum to find an unattended poster stand with life-sized posters of Julius Erving. My grandfather still has one hanging in his basement.
As far as Flyers memories go, it has to be a flat out ruckus against the Rangers. No idea when it was but it was the most glorious of bloody, bench clearing brawls I have ever seen.
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|ochospantalones on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages