Apr 15, 2011, 9:07 PM EST
With the Flyers ready to get underway in the NHL playoffs tonight at the Wells Fargo Center, fans could be in for a notable addition to the arena music. No, we haven’t heard that they’ll stop playing Black Eyed Peas before the game, but there appears to be a strong possibility that the “DOOP song,” formally known as “Maria (I Like It Loud),” will be part of the in-game experience in some form. The DOOP song is the song you hear at PPL Park after the Union score, although it is used elsewhere and is not specifically unique to the Union or PPL Park. However, it has become a huge part of the Union experience (more on that story here), with the team’s ownership even trademarking the word.
I’m not sure yet what place it will take in Flyers games, but I’ve heard it could possibly even be the new goal anthem, replacing Bro Hymn.
I’ve been unable to get any confirmation from the team so far, but Bryan James, President of the Union’s Sons of Ben supporters group, told me that he’s heard Danny Briere requested that the Flyers front office use the song after goals. James says that the Flyers contacted the Union about it, and the Union front office in turn contacted the SoBs, adding that it was classy of the Flyers to inquire regarding their interest in possibly using the song.
Would Flyers fans be OK with a possible change to the team’s goal song? Hard to say. One thing I’ll add is, while the song would surely be seen as borrowed from another team, the same was true of Bro Hymn, which was in use by the Anaheim Ducks and in other sporting events before the Flyers began using it here.
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|G_E on GIF: Jason Kelce’s beard…|
|G_E on Photo Gallery and Tweets: Linc…|
|mickthedick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages