May 30, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
seeing the Union allow Toronto FC to earn points for the first time in
10 matches this past Saturday, we won’t pretend that last night’s 3-0
win in Lamar Hunt US Open Cup play wasn’t a relief, even if it came
against a minor league team. It wasn’t out of the question that they
might lose to the Rochester Rhinos of the USL Pro League… not with the
way they played just a few days earlier in Canada.
in the fifth minute, and Freddy Adu made it 2-0 after a long weather
delay. Adu also converted a PK in the second half, giving the Union a
3-0 lead that would stand.
know much, if anything, about the US Open Cup? Philly Soccer Page has
previously run (and updated for this year) a great primer on it. Worth a
read whether you’re into soccer or just a Philly sports history buff.
[Philly Soccer Page]
non-league match against an unknown opponent, the threat of bad weather
that ultimately came, and the Union’s disastrous season to date, less
than 4,200 fans were announced to be in attendance, though Chris Vito of
the Daily Times thought there might be only 1,000 there at the start.
that Roger Torres expects to return to the field in time for the Union’s
June 9th friendly against affiliate club Reading United. The
inconsistent offense could use a boost from the talented playmaker, who
has been on the shelf since early April after knee surgery. It’s been a
long six weeks… [DelcoTimes]
Gabriel looks at the Union’s feast or famine attack, which was in Feast
Mode last night. [Daily News]
night, which is where we first saw Earl Gardner’s great picture of what
we assume was a passing apocalypse.
New England Revolution last night, and the LA Galaxy also lost in Open
Cup play. Next up for the Union is DC United on June 5 (in Maryland).
Jonathan Tannenwald has more on the Harrisburg win.
the Olympic tune-up, 4-1. The following video (from 2010) has nothing to do with that, but it’s kind of hilarious. Via the Sons of Ben on Facebook:
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return