Jun 19, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
In case you missed last night’s 1-0 Union Loss to Vancouver Whitecaps FC, the highlights are below. Not sure you’ll find a whole lot of interest after the first two minutes of video though. The U weren’t able to generate any offense, and an early Vancouver goal was the only marker of the night. It was a hell of a play and shot that earned the Whitecaps their three points.
Watch (goal starts right around 0:55):
Hats off to Davide Chiumiento for a brilliant run up the sideline and slice through toward the goal, and the blast from Alain Rochat was simply a thing of beauty. Nothing Faryd Mondragon could have done about that one.
The loss is particularly disappointing given that Vancouver is an expansion side, and also that they have only won one match all season before last night.
Peter Nowak’s decisions on which players to start and sit have some fans scratching their heads this morning. Keon Daniel has had an excellent couple of games recently, including scoring against Real Salt Lake, and Michael Farfan was emerging as well, yet neither drew the start. Veljko Paunovic got the start over Danny Mwanga in the Serb’s first action since officially signing with the club. Maybe Nowak just wanted to get the guys who haven’t played, like Stefani Miglioranzi, some action against a team the Union should have been able to handle. Mwanga would come on for Miglioranzi at the half, and Marfan and Roger Torres later joined the action, but the U just couldn’t get much going offensively.
Vancouver narrowly missed a few opportunities to extend their lead. Had it not been for a few near misses and some opportunistic defensive play by the U, the Philadelphia side might have been downright embarrassed in the Pacific Northwest.
The good news is, it won’t be a long wait before the Union have an opportunity to get things back on track after two straight disappointing outings. They host Sporting KC on Wednesday night and Chivas USA on Saturday.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money