Oct 23, 2011, 11:21 PM EDT
It came down to the final day of the MLS regular season, but the Union now know who they’ll face as they make their playoff debut. The Houston Dynamo clinched the second seed in the East with a 3-1 win over the LA Galaxy, and will travel to Chester on Sunday to face the third seeded Union.
The teams will play a home-and-home (or home-and-away depending on which you prefer) set to determine who will advance to the Eastern Conference Finals. The winner will be determined based on total goals scored (“aggregate” in the soccer parlance of our times) over the two games. MLS does not use the away goals rule, so the home teams shouldn’t simply bunker down.
We’ll have more as the week goes on, but at this point we know the Union will host Houston at PPL Park on Sunday, October 30th (tentatively scheduled for 4PM). They’ll play the away leg at Houston on November 3rd.
The Union are 2-0-2 all-time against the Dynamo. They picked up a 1-0 win on the road in the season opener, and then played to a 1-1 tie at PPL back in August.
Here are video recaps of the two games played earlier this season…
Photo Credit: philadelphiaunion.com
|willh888 on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|greg on Playoff hockey returns to the…|
|chester on Watch Cliff Lee, who is awesom…|
|chester on It doesn’t matter what w…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money