Apr 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EST
Guest post by Dave Zeitlin
As soon as reporters began to crowd around Philadelphia
Union striker Jack McInerney’s locker in the bowels of creaky RFK Stadium
on Sunday night, the catcalls began.
“From Golden Boy to Golden Boot!”
As always, McInerney smiled. He’s gotten used to the
relentless barrage from his teammates ever since he was dubbed “The American
Chicharito” on an MLSsoccer.com
podcast because of his similar skill-set (read: ability to poach goals) to Mexican
and Manchester United star Javier
“It’s probably not going to stop all year,” McInerney said
Wednesday with a laugh.
It probably won’t as long as he keeps doing what Chicharito
Following a two-goal effort against D.C. on Sunday, McInerney
took over sole possession of the MLS Golden Boot race with six goals in the
Union’s first seven games. That made the 20-year-old McInerney the youngest
player to ever lead the league in goals at any
point in any season, according to Elias.
And then, just for good measure, the rising star took home MLS
Player of the Week honors on Monday.
What have the past few days been like for the kid?
“I’ve gotten more text messages and tweets these last three
or four days than I’ve ever gotten,” McInerney said. “It’s been a little different.
I’m not going to say I don’t like it. As long as I’m playing well, I’m happy.”
He’s happy enough that he’ll deal with his new nicknames, even
if he has tried to brush off the comparison to the Manchester United striker.
Not that his teammates care about that.
“Now they’re talking about putting it on the back of my
jersey,” McInerney laughed.
Bimbo on the same jersey? Let’s get Adidas on the phone. That could be a big
|trishb on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|charlie d on Jonathan Papelbon’s ugly…|
|sfsu on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
|willh888 on Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Dom Br…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages