Jul 26, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Personally, I think it’s challenging for the casual soccer fans like myself in Philadelphia (partial Union season ticket holder going on two seasons) to get as vested in some of the Union players as we do in any of the four major teams. It’s not a knock on the sport per se, but more a byproduct of the nature of the MLS world being more transient and casual fans having no idea who three-quarters of these players are before they arrive to suit up for the U.
In other sports, even casual fans know something about Free Agent X or Top Draft Pick Y, etc. Then in baseball we have 162 games a year to fill some airtime with nuggets about each player. The NFL basically has entire news organizations devoted to keeping us informed. Soccer’s a different beast. And many of us don’t have the time or energy to bump it ahead of the four teams we grew up with our whole lives.
But Jack McInerney gives off the vibe of a guy worth getting to know if you’re a Philly sports fan. Dave Zeitlin’s long profile of Jack Mac for MLS.com this week is worth a click and a read. The description Jack Mac’s mom gives of her son’s personality could describe Philadelphia’s favorite athlete, Chase Utley: intense, serious, introverted, competitive, and quiet.
Philly typically loves a guy who is all business.
It was his description of former Union manager Peter Nowak that stuck out from the profile:
In typical McInerney fashion, here’s how the striker succinctly sums up his relationship with Nowak: “It was really good at first. And then he just kind of went crazy.”
Pretty good burn. Honesty always makes them sting a little more.
Give the whole thing a read. Hopefully Jack Mac will stick around town for a while so we can continue to get to know him. And see a few more goals.
Maybe get some more furniture though.
|Lol on Is Nate Allen good now, part o…|
|Marvin Monroe on Erik Kratz traded for Brad Lin…|
|Adam B on Things that happened during la…|
|willh888 on Erik Kratz traded for Brad Lin…|
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- TV My Wife Watches: Q&A with Myself about the Upcoming Bachelor Season
- Dad Teaches Son Important Lesson by Letting Him Crash Bike Into Tree
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages