Jun 24, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
CHESTER, Pa. – In the days leading up to Sunday’s showdown with the hated New York Red Bulls, Union manager John Hackworth had pretty much the perfect Philadelphia experience.
Let him explain it.
“I had a guy come up to me at Wawa this week,” Hackworth said. “He didn’t say hello. He didn’t introduce himself. He just grabbed me and said, ‘Hey, you better beat New York.’”
Whether or not he was motivated or intimated by this gruff Wawa customer, the stirring convenience store pep talk worked wonders as the Union hammered the Red Bulls, 3-0, in front of a sold-out crowd at PPL Park and an ESPN audience.
And beating their rivals from New York (I mean, New Jersey) is not something the Union do often. In fact, it was the first time Philly accomplished the feat in 26 months. And even though the Red Bulls were playing shorthanded, it was a win the Union players feel should send a message to the rest of the league.
When the press conference ended, I asked Hackworth the most important question of the day: What Wawa was he at?
He told me it was the one between Ridley and Swarthmore. But there are still so many more questions. Was he getting a sandwich? A smoothie? Pumping gas?
Most importantly, who was this fan that grabbed him? If you’re reading this, please step forward and accept your prize for being the perfect, no-nonsense, New York-hating Philly sports fan.
Dave Zeitlin covers the Union for MLSsoccer.com, CSNPhilly.com and The 700 Level.
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
|philasopher on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money