Philadelphia Union eliminated from U.S. Open Cup after giving up one of the worst goals in franchise history
Jun 13, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The Philadelphia Union are no longer playing in the U.S. Open Cup (no, not that golf tournament going on in Merion right now; the 100-year-old knockout soccer tournament that takes place during the MLS season).
To see why the Philadelphia Union are no longer playing in the U.S. Open Cup, go to the 0:52 mark of the video above and watch the lowlight of one of the worst goals the team has ever given up.
It happened late in last night’s fourth-round U.S. Open Cup match against rival D.C. United. With the Union trying to wage a comeback (a little bit earlier, Jack McInerney did what he does and scored a goal to slice D.C.’s lead to 2-1), goalie Zac MacMath came way off his line to play a ball along the sideline. He then made a short pass to center back Jeff Parke, which D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario noticed was “a little spicy.” De Rosario, one of the best players in MLS history, then booked it from about 40 yards away, jumped on a terrible first touch from Parke and one-timed a shot from close to midfield into a net abandoned by MacMath.
Yes, it was essentially an empty-net goal … in soccer. And it not only gave De Rosario a well-deserved hat trick but also sealed a 3-1 win for D.C. United and a trip to the U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals. The Union, meanwhile, will bow out of a historic tournament they place a lot of value in and miss out on a chance to hoist the fourth-year franchise’s first-ever trophy.
You can also watch De Rosario’s other two goals in the video, which put the hosts up 2-0. And to get a sense of what Union manager John Hackworth thought about the loss, here’s what he told reporters when asked about the Union’s very slow start to the game.
“It’s unacceptable. I don’t understand it. I don’t get it. It’s unacceptable.”
So you’re saying it’s not acceptable?
Dave Zeitlin covers the Union for MLSsoccer.com, CSNPhilly.com and The 700 Level.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages