May 18, 2011, 4:34 PM EST
Exciting news for soccer junkies as Real Madrid has been confirmed to play the Union at Lincoln Financial Field on July 23rd in Philadelphia. The game will be part of Real Madrid’s trip to the United States during which they’ll play two other matches. [Daily News]
In two seasons of existence, the Union will have played two of the pre-eminent programs in the world—Manchester United last year at the Linc and Real Madrid this summer. Plus, they also play Everton at PPL Park, where they previously hosted Celtic FC.
Adding games midseason puts some more miles on the tires to be sure. The Everton friendly is on Wednesday of that same week (7/20), which begins with a Sunday (7/17) match in New England. And although the Madrid game will be in Philly, it bumps a previously scheduled Union game in Seattle to October 8th.
But looking at the big picture, these are outstanding global opportunities to put your brand, players, and let’s be honest, advertisers in a whole new spotlight. With or without their star talent, bringing Real Madrid to Philly is a score for the city as well, continuing the trend we saw in a soccer-filled summer of 2010.
AP Photos, composite by The700Level.com
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|db21 on Please don’t use the wor…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages