May 16, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Peter Nowak and the Union confirmed today that Danny Califf will be sent to Chivas USA for a player to be named and “something else,” which we assume to be cash. This leaves the Union one captain down and the Sons of Ben with a couple of extra banners that no longer really work down in the River End.
The Union brass must have liked what they’ve seen on the defensive side from rookie Ray Gaddis. Despite playing a different position, Gaddis has played well in Califf’s absence despite a few obvious miscues.
Obviously it’s tough to gauge your feelings on trading away one of the franchise’s original players without knowing what exactly they’ll get in return, but it’s still a bit of a bummer to see another crowd favorite sent packing.
Kerith Gabriel put a positive spin on it if you’re a Union fan, pointing out that Califf’s knee had really hampered him and that his lack of speed must not have fit in with the team’s defensive plans.
The way the two most recognizable players (perhaps aside from Freddy) were sent packing is also a bit curious. Why would you trade your captain for nothing notable? Is the money that important to them? Who will be the Union’s leader now?
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money