May 16, 2012, 3:09 PM EST
Peter Nowak and the Union confirmed today that Danny Califf will be sent to Chivas USA for a player to be named and “something else,” which we assume to be cash. This leaves the Union one captain down and the Sons of Ben with a couple of extra banners that no longer really work down in the River End.
The Union brass must have liked what they’ve seen on the defensive side from rookie Ray Gaddis. Despite playing a different position, Gaddis has played well in Califf’s absence despite a few obvious miscues.
Obviously it’s tough to gauge your feelings on trading away one of the franchise’s original players without knowing what exactly they’ll get in return, but it’s still a bit of a bummer to see another crowd favorite sent packing.
Kerith Gabriel put a positive spin on it if you’re a Union fan, pointing out that Califf’s knee had really hampered him and that his lack of speed must not have fit in with the team’s defensive plans.
The way the two most recognizable players (perhaps aside from Freddy) were sent packing is also a bit curious. Why would you trade your captain for nothing notable? Is the money that important to them? Who will be the Union’s leader now?
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|ochospantalones on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages