Oct 20, 2011, 2:51 PM EST
The Philadelphia Union will hit the playoffs for the first time in 2011 and next season they’ll hit the local radio airwaves as the team has inked a partnership with 610 WIP. Just another sign in the ongoing growth of soccer in the Philadelphia area.
The full press release:
Chester, Pa. (October 20, 2011) –Philadelphia Union has signed a deal with CBS RADIO’S SportsRadio 610 WIP, giving the Union their first ever radio partner, the club announced today. Beginning in 2012, SportsRadio 610 WIP will broadcast live 17 of Philadelphia Union’s matches, either home or away, as well as partner with the team to produce a weekly one-hour soccer show which will run through the end of the season in November. Fans can hear game action and the weekly programming on-air, online at http://www.cbsphilly.com or via the Radio.com app available on a variety of mobile devices
In conjunction with their local television partners, the Union will now have one of the broadest media partnerships in Major League Soccer.
“We are thrilled to have developed this partnership with WIP, the preeminent sports radio station in the Greater Philadelphia area,” said Philadelphia Union Executive Vice President Dave Rowan. “Our fans have been asking for us to be on the radio for both games and daily Philadelphia Union talk radio coverage so this partnership was a major priority for us. We are truly honored to be a part of WIP’s already great programming.”
“Soccer is exploding in the Delaware Valley,” said Marc Rayfield, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, CBS RADIO Philadelphia. “PPL Park is filled every game and the fans are as enthusiastic as any in professional sports. We are proud to help expand the team’s reach and the sport’s popularity throughout the region.”
Also serving as the flagship station for the Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers and the Philadelphia 76ers, Sportsradio WIP is one of the first all-sports formatted stations in the nation; having broadcast the format for over 25 years in Philadelphia. In September of this year, WIP-AM’s format also began broadcasting on 94.1 FM, one of the market’s most powerful FM signals. WIP is owned and operated by CBS RADIO, one of the largest major-market radio operators in the United States.
The playoff bound Union are currently tied for first place in the MLS Eastern Conference and wrap up the 2011 regular season tonight against the NY Red Bulls in Harrison, N.J.
|erzug on Video: Sean Couturier is too m…|
|Alex s on Are the 2013 Philadelphia Eagl…|
|steve wilson on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|drew on Peter King: Eagles ‘the disapp…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages