Oct 2, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
These two teams last met June 25th, when the Union topped Chivas USA 3-2 at PPL Park. Each team has made a significant change to its crop of fowards since that late June game in Chester. Carlos Ruiz, who scored the second Union goal that day, is no longer with the team. Juan Pablo Angel, who was a member of the L.A. Galaxy that day, now wears the red and white striped Chivas kit.
Angel has rediscovered his form since joining the Goats. He’s coming off of consecutive two-goal games. He’s scored six goals in six games since being traded to Chivas in mid-August. Angel is not the only goal scorer riding a recent hot streak into this game.
Sebastien Le Toux has been nothing short of ridiculous over the last month and half, scoring nine goals over his last eight games – including two goals on Thursday against D.C. Le Toux’s confidence is apparent with every touch of the ball. Combine that confidence with his off the charts work rate and you’ve got one of the more dangerous players in MLS right now.
Speaking of in-form players, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the recent play of Michael Farfan. Whether it’s lofting long balls over the opposing back line, or burying game-winning shots from outside the box, Farfan has been fantastic. True, he did a poor job of marking United’s Dwayne De Rosario on a corner kick, but Michael Farfan brings a ton to the table. He’s responsible defensively, and is creative going forward.
Including tonight, the Union only have four games left in the regular season. With a win tonight the Union can take sole possession of first place in the East.
Lineup I’d Like to See Tonight: Zac MacMath, Gabriel Farfan, Danny Califf, Carlos Valdes, Sheanon Williams, Brian Carroll, Amobi Okugo, Roger Torres, Michael Farfan Sebastien Le Toux, Veljko Paunovic.
Final Score Prediction: This is an incredibly difficult spot for the Union. A cross-country flight following a mid-week game? The Union are just 3-6-5 on the road this season. Three points would be nice, but I see this one ending 2-2.
The Toni Stahl Memorial Player Most Likely to See Red: They’ve been so well behaved recently. I am not sure where to go with this one. I’ll say MacMath pulls down Angel on a clear goal scoring opportunity.
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|icdogg on Connor Barwin is … THE…|
|Andrew Kulp on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|Mostel on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages