Oct 2, 2011, 7:17 PM EDT
These two teams last met June 25th, when the Union topped Chivas USA 3-2 at PPL Park. Each team has made a significant change to its crop of fowards since that late June game in Chester. Carlos Ruiz, who scored the second Union goal that day, is no longer with the team. Juan Pablo Angel, who was a member of the L.A. Galaxy that day, now wears the red and white striped Chivas kit.
Angel has rediscovered his form since joining the Goats. He’s coming off of consecutive two-goal games. He’s scored six goals in six games since being traded to Chivas in mid-August. Angel is not the only goal scorer riding a recent hot streak into this game.
Sebastien Le Toux has been nothing short of ridiculous over the last month and half, scoring nine goals over his last eight games – including two goals on Thursday against D.C. Le Toux’s confidence is apparent with every touch of the ball. Combine that confidence with his off the charts work rate and you’ve got one of the more dangerous players in MLS right now.
Speaking of in-form players, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the recent play of Michael Farfan. Whether it’s lofting long balls over the opposing back line, or burying game-winning shots from outside the box, Farfan has been fantastic. True, he did a poor job of marking United’s Dwayne De Rosario on a corner kick, but Michael Farfan brings a ton to the table. He’s responsible defensively, and is creative going forward.
Including tonight, the Union only have four games left in the regular season. With a win tonight the Union can take sole possession of first place in the East.
Lineup I’d Like to See Tonight: Zac MacMath, Gabriel Farfan, Danny Califf, Carlos Valdes, Sheanon Williams, Brian Carroll, Amobi Okugo, Roger Torres, Michael Farfan Sebastien Le Toux, Veljko Paunovic.
Final Score Prediction: This is an incredibly difficult spot for the Union. A cross-country flight following a mid-week game? The Union are just 3-6-5 on the road this season. Three points would be nice, but I see this one ending 2-2.
The Toni Stahl Memorial Player Most Likely to See Red: They’ve been so well behaved recently. I am not sure where to go with this one. I’ll say MacMath pulls down Angel on a clear goal scoring opportunity.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money