Jan 6, 2012, 12:08 AM EST
Major League Soccer unveiled its 2012 regular season schedule on Thursday. The Union, who qualified for the playoffs in just its second season, open the season on the road in Portland in a nationally televised game (ESPN2) on March 12th.
The home opener is March 18th against the Colorado Rapids, another nationally televised game, this time on the newly launched NBC Sports. In all, 14 of the Union’s 34 games will be broadcast on national television.
Nine of the 14 games to be televised nationally are home games. The network partners, wanting to broadcast games in sold out, raucous venues clearly recognized the atmosphere created by Union fans at PPL Park.
Full Schedule After the Jump…
With Montreal entering the league MLS has switched to an unbalanced schedule. The Union will no longer play each MLS team home and away. Instead, an emphasis has been placed on cultivating regional rivalries. With that in mind, the Union will face New York Red Bulls and D.C. United three times each.
Another one of the rationales behind the unbalanced schedule was to reduce travel for the teams. As a result, the Union will not play away games at Salt Lake City, Vancouver, Colorado or San Jose. On the flip side, the PPL faithful will miss out on visits by LA, Portland, Seattle and Dallas.
If you are looking to book a Union road trip, you could do a whole lot worse than Montreal on August 4th. Beyond that, heading to Seattle on May 5th would be a great trip. The environment at Sounders games is bonkers. If you’re looking for something a bit closer to home, then Toronto on May 26th would be a solid choice.
T-minus 9-weeks until the season opener.
|Marvin Monroe on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|donny05 on Don Tollefson: Maybe not an al…|
|33 on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
|will on The Evster breaks down this ye…|
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Tiger Woods Denies Jason Dufner’s Auburn Angst on Twitter
- Vermeer’s Secret Tool: Testing Whether The Artist Used Mirrors and Lenses to Create His Realistic Images | Vanity Fair
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages