Oct 1, 2011, 9:48 AM EST
Thursday night’s match hosting DC United had huge playoff implications for the Philadelphia Union, and they came out of the gate looking like they fully understood that.
Sebastien Le Toux continued his tear through the MLS’s second half, potting two goals in the game’s first 15 minutes. If you were late coming to PPL Park, you probably missed the first one. The U again did their best to catch the opposing backline flatfooted with the blazing fast Le Toux in motion, and it worked to precision on these two goals, which you can see in the first two minutes of the video below. Right about the 2:00 mark, you’ll see Le Toux doing his flashmob dance.
The match would stay level until the 57th minute, when Michael Farfan struck a great ball from distance, burying it in the top left corner. You can see that just after the 6:30 mark. Enjoy:
Farfan had been beaten for a costly goal during DC’s comeback, and I’d say he more than made up for it there.
His pass on Le Toux’s second goal was a thing of beauty, and his work with Roger Torres on the give-and-go, then sneaking through a porous defense showed a talented young player gaining confidence with the ball. Brilliant night for Marfan.
Just four regular season matches remain for the Union. Up next, they’ll will be in LA to face Chivas USA on Sunday at 8PM, televised on The Comcast Network. Then they’ll play Seattle Sounders FC on October 8 before returning home for their final regular season match at PPL Park, hosting Toronto FC. The season ends, hopefully in a playoff tuneup, at Red Bull Arena on October 20.
We’re growing accustomed to meaningful baseball in October, and this year, the soccer will high-stakes as well, with an eye toward the MLS playoffs. Despite conceding a pair of goals to equalize on Thursday night, the Union topped another team desperate for points to get into the playoffs.
|charles murphy on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Robert Matthews on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|ericsaxon35 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Brian Grasso on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages