Foles, Eagles, Foles!: A legend is born. @FakeWIPCaller is ready to call the Eagles’ quarterback controversy.
Oct 14, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
In Sunday’s thrilling victory over Tampa Bay, Eagles fans got a glimpse at the future of the franchise — and that future is Nick Foles.
It’s more clear than ever that Nick Foles — and not Michael Vick, Matt Barkley or some other quarterback in next year’s draft — is the future of this team. Merrill Reese said on the morning show Wednesday that he wouldn’t trade Foles for the No. 1 pick in next year’s draft, and it’s hard to disagree with him.
Let’s look at Foles’ two starts against the Bucs, both last December and Sunday, which represent a pretty fair cross-section of his ability. Foles threw for a total of 54 completions, 677 yards and 5 touchdowns. And, of course, two wins. Donovan McNabb, we all remember, couldn’t beat the Bucs in 2003. Foles beat them in both 2012 and 2013.
We’ve been hearing since last year about that awesome quarterback class in the 2012 draft that’s going to thoroughly shake up the league. Andrew Luck. RG3. Russell Wilson. Has Nick Foles’ name been on that list?
But after Sunday, it will be.
Other Philly sports takes:
- And how about Riley Cooper, huh? Four catches, 120 yards, a touchdown and complete redemption. I sure hope everyone who’s bashed Cooper the last few weeks- especially the ones who wanted him cut in training camp- are ready to line up and apologize.
- On his weekly interview on the morning show Monday, Chip Kelly joked that if Angelo Cataldi were out for any period of time and the other members of the crew hosted in his place, the show “wouldn’t miss a beat.” That tells me one thing about Chip: He listens to the WIP morning show.
- It was great to see Danny Trejo, the actor who plays “Machete,” show up at a Flyers game last week. But why didn’t the Flyers offer him a contract, to play on the blue line? We know Trejo can win a fight, and so what if he’s almost 70 years old- he’s not that much older than Jagr.
- For way too long, the Flyers organization has been living in the past of the ’70s. Now, with Ron Hextall in the front office and Craig Berube coaching, they’re finally, at last, living in the ’80s. And if Berube doesn’t work out, I’m all for the triumphant return to the bench of Mike Keenan.
- Speaking of which, I’m so glad to hear the Phillies have brought Larry Bowa back to the coaching staff. Having both him and Ed Wade back in the organizational fold really brings back the Phils’ glory days. Anything to wash off the stink of the Charlie Manuel years. I can’t wait for Bobby Abreu to be named special assistant.
- My Phillies offseason plan? Trade Ryan Howard for pitching. Move Jimmy Rollins down in the order. Spend some money on free agents for once. And most importantly, trade Domonic Brown. Boom- first place, here we come.
You can follow @FakeWIPCaller on Twitter
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return