Jerry Jones doesn’t hire a GM because he’ll just ruin the Cowboys anyway

Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT

jerry-jones

The Philadelphia Eagles got knocked down a peg on Sunday, but that’s okay, because the Dallas Cowboys in December. Tony Romo shoulders a lot of the blame for their historic collapse—as well he should—but let’s not forget their porous defense, clueless coaching staff, and most of all, the man behind the curtain.

It’s a Dallas fan’s greatest lament that Jerry Jones will still be the club’s general manager after this season ends, and every other season, because Jerry Jones isn’t going to fire Jerry Jones. Not only does the owner of the Cowboys admit he’d just meddle with a proper GM anyway, at 71 years of age, Jones seems blissfully unaware that he may not have all the answers.

Per Tim MacMahon for ESPNDallas.com, Jones talked about why he won’t replace himself as the top decision-maker on all matters of personnel for a local radio interview.

“It’s often said that, why don’t I get someone to be the GM?” Jerry Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan. “Why don’t I get someone to pick the players? Well, who in the world do you think that person when they walk through the door and say, ‘We want to get this player or we want to pay this player,’ what in the world do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to sit down and I’m going to go through it and I’m going to say, ‘Show me the player. Show me everything about the player before I write the check. Show me the player and let me see everything about the player.’

“Well, rather than that have happen, I get involved in it and know everything about the players before they get to the door. That, if you’ve got the time to do it, that’s a better way to do it.”

I rather enjoyed MacMahon’s interpretation of Jones’ speech, too.

Why hire an architect when you’ve got time to decide how you want your house to look, right? Never mind that you keep building houses with leaky roofs and crumbling foundations.

The Cowboys have only won one playoff game in the last 17 years, and while Jones would tell you he was responsible for their three Super Bowl wins in the 90s, anybody who was around the team would credit Jimmy Johnson for building that dynasty. The man is living in denial, which has made for some great theater for Eagles fans.

>> Jerry: ‘Why don’t I get someone to be GM?’ [ESPN]

182 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. willh888 - Dec 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Sorry Jer, there’s only one man who could rock that color blazer.

• GREG - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM

We must boycott the Cowboys to bring about change, JERRY JONES IS A FOOTBALL BUFFON!!!

2. mbp1912 - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Why hire an architect when you’ve got time to decide how you want your house to look, right? Because you don’t have the technical knowledge to build a home. Deciding what you want in a house and making sure it will stand for years are two separate things. How in the world is this guy a billionaire????

• Hindenburg - Dec 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Money don’t buy sense!

3. CB - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My fervent hope is that Jerry Jones remain the owner, GM, head coach, general factotum of the Cowboys FOREVER. Likewise James Dolan as the owner and whatever else he is in NY. Oh, heaven grant me incompetent front offices of OTHER teams. Now, about the Phillies…………..

4. Tom - Dec 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I’ll never understand why the Cowboy fans do not hold Jerry Jones accountable for his many many years of being a terrible GM – just look at the stats. Yet Jerry just keeps raking in the dough and laughs through his pizza commercials and is having just a wonderful time. The fans are obviously pretty far down his priority list. So why do they continue to fill those very expensive seats in his huge stadium, eat at those pricey concession stands and buy the pricey memorabilia (not to mention his added ‘salt in the wound’ $75 parking fee!). Boycott all things Cowboy and even ol’ Jerry will finally get the picture. Get a real GM, a real coach and get out of the way Jerry. You owe it to the fans.

• tmariano81 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:17 PM

NEVER HAPPEN !!!! ONE GUY DONT GO,NEXT GUY WILL GET HIS TICKET AND GO !!!!!! THE COWBOYS ARE PATHETIC BOTTOM FEEDERS AND WILL REMAIN UNTIL A JONES WITH A BRAIN GETS IN CHARGE !!!!

• usangel1958 - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I have always been a Cowboys fan and will always be one. Jerry needs to get over himself and get a coach like the late great Tom Landry. He was the one that built the Cowboys. Everyone needs to look at the team as a whole. It is not a one player game. But when things go wrong, everyone is real quick to blame Romo.

5. dangold48 - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Jerry bottom line you did not build that team in the 90′s. Jimmy Johnson gets the credit with your assistance. If you would man up and admit it that it is possible your worst decison ever. Jerry you are a great businss person, nobody can say anything about that because you have miliions but when it comes to football. I’m sorry but your records speak for itself. You are 135 – 135 in the last 17 years as GM. Do what you said you would do in an interview with Bob Costas, fire yourself and get someone who knows how to pick players. What you are doing is not fair to all the Cowboys fans out there. The team you have should not be only .500. Forget about your pride and start making the right decisons for your fans and team.

• Jack Secret - Dec 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

absolutely correct dangold48! let’s not forget about coach tuna! he also left with a .500 record, but he left leaving the cowboys with the nexus of a successful proram until the succeeding coaches ran it into the ground! tuna was sick of jones’ constant meddling and the ultimate signing of t.o. “if I’m doin’ the cookin’, then I should be able to pick and buy the groceries!”- bill parcells

6. RICH - Dec 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I have an idea for you JJ. Why don’t you just try a GM. Give him a fair number of years to work things out. If it doesn’t work then fire him and take over the job again yourself. Give it a try. That’s all I’m asking.

7. karadakid - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Don’t listen to the haters, Jerry. Hang in there, you’re doing a great job.

• redwinger6 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Yeah Jerry, you keep being the GM. Don’t listen to anyone.

sincerely,
      Everyone who hates the Cowboys.

• JOVAN - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

LOL……..best comment yet so far!!!!

• dee - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:32 PM

That’s exactly what he tells himself every time he looks in the mirror.

8. Wwayne - Dec 17, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Jerry Jones you have an obligation to the fans more then to the team and your big head! You are not a good GM or coach. Make the Cowboys great again by standing down and letting the professionals run the team. If you can’t do that, then sell the team and go away! No body cares about what you want or think! You proven that you can drive a team to becoming nothing. Time to get smart about this…

• koja1962 - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I agree 100 percent.I have been a Cowboy’s fan my whole life and will be till I die. The only thing that would deflate Jerry’s ego is to boycott every home game.Then maybe he would get the point…..But then again he has a damn big ego!!!

9. Oh Well - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

What gm has the eagles hired that won a Super Bowl. Jerry Jones has 3 Super Bowl rings. How many does the eagles have?

• redwinger6 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Wake me up when they win one this century.

• katcoot - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

They’re better than your Igglets.

• bad bob - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Come on now! That is ancient history now. How about the last 17 years have been the worst in franchise history for succes in the post season and the way things are going it will continue for years to come. We Cowboy fans have to stop living in the past and demand that this team returns to glory NOW! That won’t happen with him running things. I refuse to go and pay top dollar to watch this team any longer. Oh wait, are you Jerry Jones?

• Paul Boyter - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

All three of Jerry Jones’ Superbowl rings were won with the team that Jimmy Johnson built, you moron. If Jerry’s massive ego had not created the situation that led to Jimmy’s resignation, the Cowboys had almost a sure chance of winning 4 Superbowls in a row, and about a 50/50 chance of winning 5 in a row. Even after Jimmy left, the Cowboys managed to win one more Superbowl with Jimmy’s team, even with the buffoon Barry Switzer as head coach.

• Scott - Dec 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM

How many Cowboys fans does it take to change a light bulb??? They wont change it they will just keep talking about how great the old one was.

10. Cliff Ross - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Jones, you idiot ! The problem is YOU !!! Your super-ego won’t allow anything to happen without your nosing in and controlling EVERY decision. The Division your team plays in thanks you.

11. Frank - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Jerry Jones is a pompous jerk that has hurt the Dallas Cowboys I’m embarrassed to even where my cowboys ball cap in public I’ve been a cowboys fan all my life (42 years) an always will be but the cowboys are the new Cleveland Browns of the league it kills me to sit here game after game an watch this OLD FOOL try to be a GM your NOT now get your head out of your rear end Jerry an hire someone that accaully knows something about Football

• Paul Boyter - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I have been a Cowboys fan since the team began playing football in 1960 (I was 7 years old at the time). I know what you mean, it is actually physically painful to watch the Cowboys self destruct every year. I live and work in Houston and I am the only Cowboys fan among all the Texans fans at work. I cannot count the times the Cowboys have embarrassed me to the point that I didn’t want to go to work the next day.

12. Keith - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM

THis article is spot on, Jerry surrounds himself with yes men (like his sons) and nobody tells him the truth, he has ruined the Cowboys and will continue to do so. Eagles fans must love this.

13. redwinger6 - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

He’s doing just fine building a team. He has quarterbacks, running back, d-linemen, and all the other guys you need. Now building a WINNING team is another story.

14. Frank - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

You mean great theater for the fans of the Eagles that lost to the Cowboys earlier this season on their own field, seeing even the weak defensive line of the Cowboys contain LeSean McCoy and stop Eric Foles cold in his tracks for all of the game prior to his injury? That game was pretty great theater, I won’t deny that.

• Bad Bob - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I hate the Eagles but if the Cowboys win this week against the Redskins then the Eagle game will be played for the division championship and I am certain that Romo, Garrett and Jones will blow it and end up 8-8 again and the Eagles will go to the playoffs.

• Chris B. - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

First of all moron, his name is Nick Foles which just shows your football acumen. Google what acumen means because I’m sure that you have no idea. If you would like to talk about good theater, that Packers comeback was excellent theater although Romo is becoming typecast as a buffoon who doesnt have the sense to run the ball to kill the clock. I personally love Tony Romo as should fans of all the other thirty one teams. Just remember that at the end of the season when you’re crying, “that’s my quaterback…..”

• vinni - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM

“That’s my QUATERBACK”, Chris B. You need to learn how to spell before you start giving speeches on “acumen”. Bonehead.

15. jim minarish - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

jerry jones needs to get a new football team and start from scratch

16. Eva Gregory - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If the Cowboys only won one game this year . . . at least . . . they BEAT The EAGLES!!!

17. kathy - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM

jerry—us cowboy fans have been waiting sssooooo long for another championship—help us out and get out of the way

18. Darrello - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Leave Jerry alone he’s channeling Al Davis

19. Kim Lloyd - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I been a Cowboy fan since the 1967 Ice Bowl.been with the Cowboys up and down over the years.i hate to tell anyone now that I’m a Dallas fan,Jerry Jones and his coaching staff are a complete joke.to bad Jerry won’t get out of coaching,and hire a real coach,and a defensive coach.and get a QB that is worth 106 million dollars.i hate it for guys like Jason Whitten,Demarcus Ware.guys that will never wear a Super Bowl ring.Goodluck Cowboys cause u will never b more than an 8 and 8 team.maybe not even that this year.

• katcoot - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Crying are we?

20. D Cowboy - Dec 17, 2013 at 7:59 PM

OK flat out I am a huge Cowboys fan. Jerry should not hire a gm, because if he did he would screw that up too. What he needs to do is spend the money on the defense side of the ball the same way he has spent it on the offense side. Defense wins championships, just ask the Giants!! That’s just my 2 cents!!

21. Puddin Patterson - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Dear Jerry,

forget the hatahs, you’re doing a great job. don’t ever change.

hugs and kisses,

the rest of the NFC East.

• katcoot - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Not funny

22. paul phipps - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Jerry Jones has ruined this franchise-they will never win with him as the owner-just move on and follow another team-trust me he will sit alone in his big stadium by himself and continue to say he is the man!

23. Mike - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I have been a fan since 67 and have always held out hope that Jerry would somehow get lucky and field a winner. After the game last Sunday I will throw away all my Cowboy jerseys and NEVER watch them again until Jerry turns the keys over to someone that is not driving drunk! I get absolutely NO pleasure watching them anymore so I quit.

24. Chris - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

You know if you think about it Jerry Jones hates the Cowboys and has them right where he wants them and in spite of all the hoopla he is making money off of them.
    Yeah it’s a crazy thought but not getting out of the way is worse!

25. DJF - Dec 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM

And that is why the Cowboys will only be an average team. Remember that you fired Tom Landry because the team wasn’t moving forward. We’ll your team is at that point again. Jerry needs to fire Jerry the GM because Jerry the GM isn’t getting the job done.

1 2 3 5