Dec 17, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Eagles got knocked down a peg on Sunday, but that’s okay, because the Dallas Cowboys in December. Tony Romo shoulders a lot of the blame for their historic collapse—as well he should—but let’s not forget their porous defense, clueless coaching staff, and most of all, the man behind the curtain.
It’s a Dallas fan’s greatest lament that Jerry Jones will still be the club’s general manager after this season ends, and every other season, because Jerry Jones isn’t going to fire Jerry Jones. Not only does the owner of the Cowboys admit he’d just meddle with a proper GM anyway, at 71 years of age, Jones seems blissfully unaware that he may not have all the answers.
Per Tim MacMahon for ESPNDallas.com, Jones talked about why he won’t replace himself as the top decision-maker on all matters of personnel for a local radio interview.
“It’s often said that, why don’t I get someone to be the GM?” Jerry Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan. “Why don’t I get someone to pick the players? Well, who in the world do you think that person when they walk through the door and say, ‘We want to get this player or we want to pay this player,’ what in the world do you think I’m going to do? I’m going to sit down and I’m going to go through it and I’m going to say, ‘Show me the player. Show me everything about the player before I write the check. Show me the player and let me see everything about the player.’
“Well, rather than that have happen, I get involved in it and know everything about the players before they get to the door. That, if you’ve got the time to do it, that’s a better way to do it.”
I rather enjoyed MacMahon’s interpretation of Jones’ speech, too.
Why hire an architect when you’ve got time to decide how you want your house to look, right? Never mind that you keep building houses with leaky roofs and crumbling foundations.
The Cowboys have only won one playoff game in the last 17 years, and while Jones would tell you he was responsible for their three Super Bowl wins in the 90s, anybody who was around the team would credit Jimmy Johnson for building that dynasty. The man is living in denial, which has made for some great theater for Eagles fans.
|Marvin Monroe on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|Z on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|willh888 on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|yishmeister on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return